A Happy Life
Despite how hopeless things may seem through the eyes of those struggling with addiction, there is always hope for a happier, more fulfilling life. There can be mornings
filled with excitement and hope instead of sickness and dread. Evenings can be a time of comfort and security and life can have new meaning. A life that is given a second chance through self forgiveness can move forward. But this must begin with you. You have to
make the decision and find the courage to take the first step.
- Admit that you have an addiction. Say it out loud. Admitting powerlessness over addiction is the first step in all 12 step recovery programs. This is a required part of
recovery. It puts an end to excuses and denial and clears the way to sobriety.
- See your family doctor and call your local 12 step group. They can help you find the appropriate help that is required for your specific problem. You need support and it
is there for those who ask.
- Have goals and dreams. Think back to what you wanted your life to be before your addiction took over. Did you want to be a writer or a teacher? Did you want to publish a
novel or try to change the world in some dramatic way? Get to know yourself again. Keep your dreams in the back of your mind as you begin your recovery. When the time is right, live the dream again and be the person that you were meant to be. You can do it!
Here are a few more tips to help you on your road to recovery:
- Be thankful: Always remember that no matter how bad things seem, there is always someone who has it worse.
- Make time for yourself: Get up an hour earlier every morning and relish the silence. Drink a steaming cup of tea and watch the world come to life. Meditate.
- Start a gratitude journal: Record five things that make you feel grateful EVERY day. Even if you have a really bad day, record five things anyway no matter how small.
Gradually, your state of mind will shift and you will focus on feeling grateful and positive without even knowing it!
- Go for a walk: Breathe in the fresh air and enjoy the view! Sit by the ocean, in the forest or anywhere natureís beauty resonates. Marvel at Godís creations in quiet
solitude. Nothing can put the spirituality of the universe and life itself into perspective better than spending time with nature. It is beautiful and very calming.
And last but not least...
- Take life one day at a time...one minute at a time...one second at a time because in reality, it is all that we have.